San Francisco Council Patch, (c 1950)
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000
San Francisco Bay Area Council History
Home.Oakland Area Council.San Francisco Council.San Francisco Bay Area Council.Order of the Arrow.Miscellaneous.About Us / Comments.
Los Mochos Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1945 - Present)
Camp Loomer Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1957 - 1973)
Wente Scout Reservation Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1959 - Present)
Camp Dimond-O Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1926 - 1978)
Camp Dimond Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1919 - 1949)
San Francisco Training Camp symbol, San Francisco Council (1917 - 1924)
Camp Moore symbol, San Francisco Council (1938 - 1951)
Camp Lilienthal Symbol (Fairfax location), San Francisco Council (1928 - 1973)
Camp Royaneh symbol, San Francisco Council (1925 - Present)
Camp Lilenthal Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919-1925)
Camp Lilienthal (Stern Grove location) Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919 - 1925)
San Francisco Training Camp
Howard Ranch, Olema
1918 - 1919
Patches / Memorabilia
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000
Camp Photo, July 22, 1918, Howard Ranch (Olema), Pt Reyes
The Scouts learned farming techniques at the training camp
A bridge was constructed over the Bear Valley creek
Army chefs provided the cooking for the Scouts
The Bear Valley creek was dammed to provide a swimming hole
Second Annual SF Boy Scout Training Camp, June 24 - July 22, 1918, Howard Ranch at Olema in Pt Reyes.
Scout Executive Raymond O. Hanson in Center
Google Map of San Francisco Training Camp location near Olema, CA, 1918 - 1919
San Francisco Training Camp, War Emergency Badge (c 1918)

San Francisco Summer Training Camps

1917 – Warner Canyon, Mill Valley – Marin County,

1918-1919 – Howard Ranch, Olema – Marin County

1920-1924 – Cazadero Redwoods at Elim Grove, Cazadero, Sonoma County


1918-1919 – Howard Estate Ranch, Olema – Marin County

For the summers of 1918 and 1919 the summer training camp moved from Warner Canyon in Mill Valley to the Howard Estate dairy ranch outside the town of Olema in the Bear Valley area at Pt Reyes.  Through the courtesy of the Shafter and Howard families, a large section of the ranch was made available for Scout camping.  Nearly four hundred boys and their leaders participated in a daily program of instruction in first aid, signaling, agriculture and other special subjects.  Tents were setup in a large laurel grove and semi-permanent buildings were constructed including a large field kitchen, store-house latrines, store and a post office.  The water in a mountain stream was made available for swimming by means of a well built dam.  During their free time the boys roamed to their hearts content in the famous Bear Valley area adjacent to the camp.


The Shafter and Howard families owned most of Point Reyes for 82 years, from 1857-1939.  At the height of the Shafter and Howard empire, 31 dairy ranches were in operation.  During that time, the operation of the ranches changed little, except for modernization in technology and transportation.  However with the eventual sale of the ranches starting with the Hart Hill ranch in 1919, the scouts would require a new location for their summer camp operations the following year.